Tuesday, June 17, 2014

New Gate

 
In the very back, you can see the old wire mesh gate we had that led into the back yard.  It was falling apart and I wanted something to go with the new garden bed I put in.
 
So I came up with this from a DIY link.
 
 
The whole thing is made from 5/4 decking and each piece was cut.  The pales (the "pickets") also had to be ripped by circular saw, so I ended up learning some stuff.  Pretty much everything had to be painted before it was put together, so I spent time waiting on stuff to dry.
 
It didn't turn out as easy as I thought.  The first mistake I made was in making the fence the exact size to fit between the gate posts.  I had to go back and rip a half-inch off each side, which was nerve-wracking.  Otherwise I would have had to take it completely apart because of the way it's made.
 
Finally put the final coat of paint on it today.  The DIY site said it was a "weekend" project.  Took me six days and fifty percent more budget.
 
But I LOVE the new gate!!
 
 
 

2 comments:

Bill Crider said...

Looks great. Would have taken me a month, I'd have lost a thumb, and it would be sagging.

Mel Odom said...

I got REALLY lucky!